Knee injuries can be painful and take long to recover. The most important recommendation is to immobilize the leg and allow it to heal. Whether it is post operative therapy or bone, ligament, tendon and muscles issues, constant movement aggravates the situation. This is where a knee brace or immobilizer comes in. This accessory provides comfort to the leg but helps in the healing process. Below is a list of 5 best knee immobilizers for your perusal, but first let’s talk about what a knee immobilizer actually is.
What is a knee immobilizer?
A knee immobilizer is a medical knee cap or sleeve which is used to help heal injured or post-operative knees. It holds the leg straight in perfect support to immobilize it in order for faster healing. The immobilizers are usually made with a combination of fabric, foam, metal and plastic and are attachable or detachable with straps. These come in a variety and sizes to fit every leg size. These support devices are often recommended by doctors for damaged ligaments, torn tendons, muscle sprains, fractured knee caps, dislocations etc.
Thing to consider while buying a knee immobilizer :
- Required support level : Depending on the level of your injury, you can choose between a hinged brace and a compression sleeve. A hinged brace is for more serious injuries like post operative care and ligament injuries. It immobilizes the knees, limiting movement for faster healing. A compression sleeve offers lesser support and is more of a protective gear. It can be used during sports activities or for issues like arthritis, tendonitis, and bursitis.
- Size : Size is of utmost importance as an ill-fitting knee stabilizer may cause a fall or detract the healing process. A proper size will offer optimum support and stability to the knee or injured area, thereby immobilizing it. The size is measured according to length and the circumference.
- Material : Knee braces are usually made of stretchable nylon material. They should have contoured aluminium splints for full support. The material should stretch for maximum comfort and snug fit. It should be lightweight so as to not add weight to the injured area. It should also be easily washable.
- Ease of use : Velcro straps or wrap around knee braces are easiest to use over injured knees and legs. But these should also be good quality elastic to stay snug. The straps should fit well and be easy to put on and take off. The aluminum splints should easily fit in place.
5 Best Knee Immobilizers in India (2021)
1. Tynor Knee Immobilizer
The Tynor Knee Immobilizer is specially designed for injuries and post operative knee care. It is made of PUF fused material which offers enhanced cushioning and optimum comfort. The anatomically contoured splints are made of aluminium and provide perfect grip and immobilization. It controls motion problems, dislocations and ligament or muscular tears. It controls the patellar movement while stabilizing the weak knee. This knee brace is available in five sizes.
- Recommended for early cast removal
- Removable patellar strap
- Aesthetically smart looking
- Belt does not hold tight
2. FitPro Adjustable Post-Op Knee Immobilizer
The FitPro Knee Immobilizer is used for post-operative knee therapy. It helps in repairing injured patella tendons and collateral ligament tears. It has a universal fit with a circumference of 29” and 12” tall. The brace is lightweight and has a rigid posterior and adjustable lateral and medial stays. The side panels are fully adjustable and offer optimal comfort and support to the knee.
- Universal circumference
- Post operative care
- Velcro is not soft edged
3. Wonder Care Open Patella Hinged Immobilizer
Wonder Care Knee Brace is a wraparound immobilizer for both men and women. It offers relief from knee joint pain and meniscus tear. It is specially designed to provide uniform compression to the knee. The open patella hinged design minimizes patellar pressure and keeps the patella in place. It supports the tendon and quickens the healing process. The fabric stretches four-ways for maximum ease and full weight-bearing. The wrapping design with anterior closing makes it easy to put on and remove on asymmetric and swollen knees.
- Post surgery rehabilitation
- Breathable fabric
- Stitching quality not very great
People who read this also like : 7 Best Compression Socks for Men
4. Medtrix Knee Brace Knee Immobilizer
This Knee Immobilizer from Medtrix measures 20” in height. The knee brace is recommended for treatment of knee injuries, post or non-surgical cases. The material is soft and comfortable and comes with side splints that help in restricting movement of the knee joint. It is designed with aluminium splints which are anatomically contoured for maximum comfort and grip. The patellar straps are removable and offer stability. The velcro straps facilitate the best way to put on a knee immobilizer without causing any pain or discomfort to swollen legs.
- Aesthetically smart
- Motion control
- Improves comfort post operation and injury
- Size could be an issue
5. Flamingo Knee Brace
Rated amongst the best rated knee immobilizer, The Flamingo knee brace is a long leg support ideal for care after fractures and ligament or muscle injuries. It offers relief from knee dislocations and tendon injuries as well. Problems like arthritis, Chondromalacia patella, sprains and tears etc cause pain and discomfort to the specific areas of the leg. This brace provides full support through immobilisation of the region. Less movement allows the injury to heal faster. It diminishes swellings and minimizes pain. This brace is particularly good for knee issues.
- Provides support to knee joint
- Relief from swelling
- Provides stability
- Available in four sizes and two colors
- Not foldable
The knee immobilizer uses are listed above. Pick one to give yourself the maximum comfort while allowing your knee to heal in the perfect way.